Drum Maker Critically Ill From Anthrax

A drum maker from London is in the hospital after he inhaled anthrax spores while handling animal skins. That’s a fairly uncommon occupational hazard for drum builders, so if you’re in the business, don’t freak out (…at least don’t freak out completely). From the article:

It is important to stress that it is the making of animal skin drums that is the risk for coming into contact with anthrax rather than playing or handling drums.

The patient concerned makes drums using animal skins for a living. It is through making these drums that exposure to and inhalation of anthrax spores on an imported animal hide occurred. This is an extremely rare case and this type of anthrax cannot be passed from person to person.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *