Drum Maker Dead From Anthrax

The critically ill drum maker whom we posted about two days ago has died from inhaling anthrax spores. In this follow-up report, the BBC explores the potential dangers of handling animal skins that will be turned into drumheads. From the piece:

Drum makers are at risk, however low, during the preparation of the skin, which involves stretching it over the frame and scraping hair from the hide to give it a smooth finish. The danger lies in inhaling agitated spores or an open wound becoming infected.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *